SA-1 Patches

Discuss previously released ROM Hacks here. Total Conversions, Kaizo Hacks, Vandalized monstrosities, anything goes.
terinin

SA-1 Patches

Post by terinin »

SA-1 Patches seem to be all the rage right now and the developer's been kind enough to share how he does (with tools!) it for free on https://github.com/VitorVilela7/SA1-Pack. The Mega Man X patch was the first one done outside of the main creator's influence so I think it's open season for romhackers. This is an exciting time for the SNES romhacking community in general so I'm just going to drop some suggestions. I think two games in particular would really benefit from these wonderpatches.
Return of Double Dragon: This one would quite literally get a fresh lease of life from an SA-1 patch. The patching community for this game has been really great and a lot of work has already gone into the game. This includes one where the annoying 30 FPS limit was removed. I just want to see this game running at a smooth 60 FPS consistently. I think balancing the speed of the game in relation to the framerate might be the hardest part because it should be faster than the original but also not comically fast. I think the improvements brought by a well-done patch like this would legitimately make the game a 100x more fun.
Final Fight: I guess I'd say this one's a really obvious candidate but no one's done it yet so I'm just throwing it out there.
I'm sorry about my limited game choice, I don't have the greatest taste in anything. If this thread is useful for anything I guess anyone reading this can reply with their own game choices to receive an SA-1 patch; maybe it'll inspire someone looking through to get to work on one.
I'll end this by saying that I have no technical know-how on anything I'm talking about so don't take my post too seriously. I'm just kind of throwing what I'd love to see in the hacking scene out there.
Thanks for reading!

Venom Kyo
Site Admin

Re: SA-1 Patches

Post by Venom Kyo »

terinin wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:58 am

Return of Double Dragon: This one would quite literally get a fresh lease of life from an SA-1 patch. The patching community for this game has been really great and a lot of work has already gone into the game. This includes one where the annoying 30 FPS limit was removed. I just want to see this game running at a smooth 60 FPS consistently. I think balancing the speed of the game in relation to the framerate might be the hardest part because it should be faster than the original but also not comically fast. I think the improvements brought by a well-done patch like this would legitimately make the game a 100x more fun.
I completely agree. Super Double Dragon is a game where I just can't figure out why things were done the way they were. Any kind of improvement on that game is welcome by me.